Most of us are hardworking, honest people, who are building strong families and are productive members of our Florida community. Unfortunately, there are a few people who try to take advantage of us and we need to be educated on what to watch for. Florida fraud, including Florida insurance scams, is the second-most burdensome financial crime in the United States.
Here are a few of the most common Florida insurance scams:
- Forced Rear-ending – Typically, the scammer will slow down or come to a stop in busy traffic, or swoop in front of the victim at an intersection or an on-ramp, causing the driver to crash into them from behind. In most states, the person who rear-ended the other driver is the liable party, thus the scam begins. At this point, the scammer will claim high medical bills and unusual property damage, (loss of iPhone, damage to other personal property, etc).
- Operation Leaky Pipes- A scheme between a Florida licensed public adjuster and a plumber to coach homeowners on how to file fraudulent insurance claims for pre-existing or non-existent water damage. The homeowners filed fraudulent claims in an attempt to claim money for home remodeling. Don’t allow contractors to take advantage of you.
- Counterfeit Airbags – Each year, about 1.6 million air bags inflate during crashes, saving thousands of lives. But, during the repair process, at least a small percentage of those deployed airbags will be replaced with counterfeits, which can be life-threatening. Make sure you use a reputable repair shop and ask to have factory airbags installed.
- Windshield Replacement Rip-Offs – Don’t fall for the person in a van who stops you to say he can offer to fix your windshield. The scammer takes your insurance information and files a false claim. Only use well known repair shops.
- Phantom Victims – Often after an accident, you are not fully aware of everyone and everything around you. The scam is the injured party will say there was another passenger in the vehicle and make a false claim. When gathering information after an accident, such as the other driver’s license number and contact information, also count the number of passengers in the other car (if any) and take photos of the other car, its passengers, and the general scene.
- Intentional Flooding/Fires- Recent news in Florida identified a group that intentionally sets fire to homes then filed false insurance claims.
We hope none of these insurance scams happen to you. However, if you do have an accident, we are here to help you through your claim. As an independent insurance agency, we are affiliated with multiple industry-leading companies. It is these partnerships that allow us to provide our clients with better coverage at a competitive price.
Sun Insurance Services is an Orlando Florida based independent insurance agency serving all of the Sunshine state, providing personal insurance, business insurance, health insurance and life insurance throughout Florida. We take what we do very seriously, but we HAVE FUN in the process! If we can help you with any of your FL insurance needs, please contact us today!