Mold can be very harmful when it grows undetected in your home. At Sun Insurance Services we are all about offering solutions to important issues facing Florida homeowners. We recommend when it comes to keeping your home mold-free, a strong offense is definitely your best defense.
If you have owned a home in Florida for any length of time, we don’t have to tell you that mold can grow anywhere; on carpet, clothing, food, paper, and even in places you can’t see such as the backside of drywall, areas inside walls around leaking or condensing pipes, and above ceiling tiles.
Standard Florida homeowner’s policies provide coverage for disasters that are sudden and accidental. Mold growth and the resulting damage is generally not covered under most insurance policies. However, if mold is the direct result of a covered peril such as a burst pipe, there could be coverage for the cost of eliminating the mold. Make sure you call Sun Insurance Services for specific coverage terms of your individual policy.
We wouldn’t leave you without some tips on preventin mold:
• Use products that tend to resist mold
• Use bleach to clean bathrooms
• Keep mold off house plants
• Keep doors and windows shut when AC is on
• Add mold inhibitors to paint
• Inspect your home annually; including around pipes, foundations, and water heaters
• Place exhaust fans in bathrooms, kitchens, and attics
• Keep humidity level between 30 % to 60%
• Keep gutters clean of leaves and other debris
• If you experience a flood, remove carpets within 24 to 48 hours
• Remove all standing water
• Wash and disinfect all areas that have been flooded.
• Look for ways to improve air flow in and around your home
Sun Insurance Services is an Orlando Florida based independent insurance agency serving all of the Sunshine state. If we can help you with any of your FL insurance needs, please contact us today!